Tuesday, November 17, 2020

CHUBUT MIXED COLORS

 Entering second partial lockdown November 2020, I decided to treat myself to some luxury fibre so I could spin something interesting during this time. I've haunted all the walking sports pithing 5 kg of my house and really miss the beaches which are out of bounds.

I ordered from my favorate source, Wolleknoll, Oberot-Neuhausen , Germany. Their web site has an English language version and I get their catalog. I love that it is so easy to distinguish exactly what is on offer with details such as Price/Kg, number of microns clearly indicated on each fibres type. Thecolors are lovely too.

I went for two packs of Chubut assorted colours, 16.5 microns. It is easy to track the order and it arrived in a few days. 

The fibre is very very soft yet easy enough to spin.

I've played around with it without any real end-product in mind other than making lots of different sorts of yarn - with color play, different weights/plys and techniques.



First off, I decided to make a chunky three-ply using pink, light green and grey. The pink is a lovely hot color but I'm not mad about hot pink so I "greyed" it down.

Chunky - 6 wraps per inch.



Soaking in warm water with washing up liquid

In a squidgy nest



189 meters/207 yards            303 grams                average 6 WRI chunky        very soft
Not very even - there are spots that bloom along the way - but this allows the individual colours to make a more definite appearance rather than disappear into the marl.

Approk 18 -19 grams each of the solid ping and green were left over so I plied them on themselves and they might be useful for adding small accents to a piece knitted from the marled yarn.



Next a 2-ply using blue and yellow.

I opened the blue roving using carders to facilitate spinning for this one as I planned to spin a finer yarn
.

Long, silky fibres! Lovely.

I spun these using short forward draw with hands around  6 inches apart . Idid the same with the yellow.





195 grams.        274 meters/300 yards  10 WPI



Next up - a fractal!!!

Using Red (R) , Black (B), Cream (C)

99 Grams of each divided in to 3 ie 33 grams X 3 R, 33 grams B X B, 33 grams C X3

Spool 1: R33g followed by B 33 followed by 33g C. one pattern run

Spool 2: R 16g followed by B 16g followed by C 16g repeated once i.e. 2 pattern runs

Spool 3: R 11g followed by B 11 g followed by C 11g repeated twice i.e. 3 pattern runs

I know the beginning will be solid red blowed by red/black but not sure what exactly will follow in terns of marls and solids - and that's what makes it fun to do!


Here they are lined up ready to spin into singles:



Spinning singles at 24 WPI for each sequence of colours



 Singles lined up for plying 


Spinning in progress


First change of sequence:

2nd

3rd


4th


5th


6th


7th


and so on.

See : More Chubut spun   Novemebr 28 2020


No comments: