Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Star crochet mat and dyed Alpaca

I ripped it!!
Twice.
I just didn't really like my previous attempt at crocheting the iCor mat.
It was not as pleasing to me as the plat-knit one I made before.

So rip, rip, think, think and start again.
This time, I changed the beginning to the piece to a magic ring commencement the stitch to full Double Crochet (DC) and the texture was much more to my liking. I also started with the lighter, warmer colour at the centre and I think this gives a much more attractive effect. I changed the number of stitches I began the loop with three times to get the one that allowed the subsequent DC's to like flat. Turns out this was 10 stitches. I worked regular increases i.e. 2 DC's every stitch, chained threes as first DC then DC in first stitch each tine and in subsequent rounds, every 2nd had 2 DC's then every 3rd etc.
As I progressed, a mind-worm surfaced saying "I want this to be star shaped or octagonal" . I could not ignore this so changed my increments to three DC's in seven "corners" - of course this meant an increase of 2 stitches every round per side. (Simple maths and counting made this fairly intuitive).

I'm glad I did since I like this iteration much more and almost as much as the knitted mat.













I'm now making a deep red solid-colour cord to crochet around the edge.

LYNDIE'S ALPACA FELLCE GOT DYED.

Lydia does not have an Alpaca but she knew a lady who did own one so some time ago she procures some of it's white fleece.
It was not all that white when it arrived. In common with any Alpaca I've obtained from lone owners, it was full of grit and grime. (Do these animals roll in the dirt all the time??).

I washed and dyed it in clumps using graduated dye from deep green through blue-green to blue white to un-dyed white/natural.
It looks and feels lovely. Now I have to make batts using the drum carder.
The decisions will mostly be whether or not to include the shorter second-cut bits. I don't want ti too fuzzy - so perhaps I'll have to be brutal about discarding theses shorter tips etc even if dyed.

These photos give a general idea of the colours - one of the interim blues is missing .








 It has a nice hand when opened out.


Must get carding.

No comments: