Thursday, October 18, 2018

Christmassy little tote bag



Used up several Christmassy coloured remenants of my hand-spun and hand-dyed yards - I hate to throw them out even if there is not enough for a hat or mat (my usual knitted items).

For the shoulder strap, I warped the rigid heddle,10 dent, with singles - knowing I would not be to use the heddle to beat them and they would fray. Used a little plastic ruler to press the wefts down. Two of the warps did fall apart but I have no problem fixing that with another length of yearn. The hardest part was actually passing the weft as that is a very thin yarn, so thin I had to use it doubled and pass it twice for each pick, wrapping it around the outer warp yarn before returning. This worked OK and I like the resulting strap - I like these straps so much that I wish I had an excuse to make more.




I got a remnant of silky curtain material from "Material World" in Athlone, The assistant there was very good and didn't make me feel like a bigger when I bought just 2 Euros work of remnant instead of a large order of her beautiful materials.

The knitting pattern was fairly easy, with slip-stitch rather than fair isle and is based on XXXXXXXX' pattern (I'll add the right name later).







Bag is 8"deep, 11.5" wide and hangs down about 21" shoulder to hip

No comments: