Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Knitting Machine

I was the amazed and overjoyed recipient of a knitting machine, donated to me by a very nice lady whose mother can no longer make use of it.
That was at the end of November last, 2017.

I was flummoxed at first - I had no idea ho big it was going to be - big as a piano keyboard - nor did I understand how the carriage or needles got together to form a piece of fabric.
I was much relieved to find that the original manual was present and correct.
It is a Mnit Master Model 155 and there are still many in active use out there.
I was particularly fortunate to find youtube videos by "theanswerlary' who is an expert in all thing knitted including the workings of knitting machines.

I made my first swatch on this chunky version of its king in December -


I don't have punch cards yet to avail of it's capacity to do a form of fair isle or intarsia but no doubt in time I will get some.
Meanwhile, I'm using it mainly to knit iCord (aka Idiot Cord). Turns out that knitting, in sucking stitch, strips just 3 or 4 stitches wide causes them to curl up into pseudo-iCord, thus saving me the trouble of knitting and knitting massively long stretches of garter stitch strips to bind plat into my knitted rugs. 
Thanks to theAnswerLady again, I decided to try crochet rather than platting these strips which I can produce in a much shorter time than by knitting them 
The result is interesting - not quite as elegant as my platted rug technique, but I'm warming to it.
Glad it handles my hand spun sheep wool very well!








Will see how it goes.

No comments: