Saturday, January 13, 2018

Washing my Rim & Button Hothead hat

I don't recall what the original patternI for this little knitted hat came from, but I liked how it came out when applied to some lightweight hand spun wool I had.
So I applied the same general idea to some more hand spun wool I had dyed with graduated colours, interspersed with some grey alpaca singles.

This post itemises how to wash and dry a finished hand knitted woollen hat.

Add some washing up liquid or shampoo to warm water in a bowl and sink the wooden down in it.



Let it sit for 30 minutes or so


Squeeze it out, refill the bowl with clean warm water and soak again



Repeat if necessary and squeeze out.
Roll up in a towel to remove excess water



After maybe 10 - 30 minutes, unroll and either lie flat to dry:





or hag in the hot press to dry:



Nice and dry now:






The grey alpaca (from Waterford as it happens) is a single spun on a drop spindle. Because of that, stocking stitches twist. I let it twist for the first band I introduced after the dyed wool yarn sectionsbut then made it straight by knitting into the back leg of the stitches in later bands of grey. 

Who knew there could be so much interest(well for me anyway) knitting up one woolly Hothead hat.














No comments: