Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Disgusted" of Westmeath

Well!
In the tradition of the letter to the editor and later, email to the British Broadcasting Company - I must declare myself as "disgusted of Westmeath".
Having completed several boring chores today, I rewarded myself by having lunch while knitting and watching an episode of "Doctors" on BBC1 TV.
What an affront to the wooly community that was!! Every cliché available concerning our yarnies was wheeled out!
The plot itself is too complicated to go into here (in the crazed tradition of daytime soaps I might add). However, it hinges upon a hand-knit scarf which is described as "horrible" by one of the regulars of the show, turns out to be knit by one of a brother and sister team of mentally defectives who are capable of massive self delusion and cruelty, not to mention nastily eccentric dress sense. The investigation leads to the source of the wool yarn - a repressed cranky old dame behind the counter of her stuffy little yarn store - they stopped just short of giving her a bun - and haven't they seen The Yarn Room and This I Knit and such like?? No nasty old hags in those breezy premises full of imagination and promise. Anyway, the bespectacled old bag identified the breed of sheep which gave rise to the wool (Karakul or some such) and comments on the luster of the fibers but notes the color is not quite good enough (did it come from my stash I wonder?). This expertise is met with a rather impatient dismissiveness by the investigating officer - who is eventually given the vital information required to solve the case (but not without the screen writer giving her a few lines to indicate what an out-of-touch old twit she is).
So there you have it.
We have an image problem, we yarnies - not helped by the BBC I might add.
Signed,
Disgusted
Westmeath
Ireland

1 comment:

Stitchlily said...

I love it! Well done!!
Unfortunately makes me very curious about the show...