Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yak and silk roving spun and plied

The 200 gms of yak and silk roving is now e-spun into a plied yarn.
I had intended to over-dye with a purple color but now that I see it, it has an interesting silvery hue - sort of slate color in some lights rather than a boring brown so I think I'll leave it as is.





There is about 363 yards of around 12 wraps per inch - a sport weight or double knit type yarn.
I expect it will knit with a lot of drape but it is soft and warm to the touch.
I imagine it as a shoulder wrap of some sort probably with some lace knitting involving larger holes and perhaps a crocheted edge…..could be a vest though or even long-armed gloves - but I think a wrap exploits its properties the best.
That's what I love about making new yarn - figuring out what it might become.


**********************************************************

No comments: